March 5, 2013

Honey Mousse


Honestly, the name says it all. It's mousse. It's made with honey. Also, it is not as difficult as it sounds, unless you happen not to have an electric mixer. In that case you will whisk your arm off.

It was the small number of steps that first attracted me to the recipe, because I am not yet what one would call a Good Cook. I have always wanted to be a Good Cook, and am still working at it, but I'm not quite there yet. (This probably explains why I initially felt a bit intimidated by the word "mousse".) So every once in a while I enjoy something that, once completed, appears more complicated than it actually is.

I found this recipe in a relatively old cookbook I found called Encyclopedia of European Cooking, under Russia. It has a very, very strong honey flavour.


Honey Mousse

8 oz honey
4 eggs

Separate the yolks from the eggs and blend with the honey. Simmer on a very low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens. Then remove from the stove and leave to cool. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold into the honey mixture. Chill, in serving dish or single glass dishes.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds and looks delicious! Is it very sweet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is very sweet, more suited for a topping or the middle layer of a cake than plain eating. Basically it will be as sweet as the honey you use.

      Delete

Care to leave us a note? Don't be shy.