April 8, 2013

Where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony




May I now introduce the newest addition to my musical menagerie: Sherlock the violin. After years of sitting at the top of someone's dusty shelf (or the back of their closet, I don't know for sure), he has come to live with Brontë the piano, Morrigan the organ, and Nienor the clarinet (that I can't actually play yet), and me.

Isn't it lovely?





After a grand total of two lessons, I can now play the theme from Dvorak's "New World" Symphony. Which honestly is not as difficult as it sounds, but I'm still proud of myself.




(You may recognize the title phrase from Sherlock Holmes' description of "Violin-land" in "The Red-Headed League".)

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I love me a good violin.

    My daughter is a violinist ... in fact she was destined for a shining career as one until she decided to become an archivist instead. And now she's off to her first proper job and I feel just a hint of regret that it's not with her violin case slung across her shoulders.

    Happy playing m'dear :D

    ReplyDelete

Care to leave us a note? Don't be shy.